Friday, November 20, 2009

ANNIVERSARY STORY

What started out to be a cool surprise for Jed, turned out to be a Comedy of Errors.

First off, Jed had to go into the office on Wednesday, so we postponed the celebration until Thursday. Okay, I can deal with that...no problem. After 37 years, what's one more day, right?

Jed and I hung out all day yesterday...watching old movies, reading and just talking but most of all, enjoying each other. It's funny, but still after all this time, I'd rather be with him than anyone. I guess that is really what love is all about. My surprise was coming later, anyway.

First, I need to give you the back story. We used to go to Trader Vic Restaurant all the time. We ordered nearly the whole menu and pigged out for hours...we just loved the place. Then, Merv Griffen died (he was the owner) and it started going downhill, it was eventually sold and then it really got bad. Anyway, it finally closed...we were heartbroken. Our Pig-out place was gone forever...or so we thought.

Last week while I was shopping for Christmas things downtown, I drove by it. IT WAS STILL HERE...just moved across the street from Staples Center. I was delighted...that was going to be my big surprise. I was going to drive up to the restaurant, get out, leave the car with the Valet and we were going to eat until we popped. After a 45 minute drive, (2.5 miles, I HATE LA TRAFFIC)it was NOT TO BE!!!! (another back-story...Jed walks with a cane, and I have a terrible bad back) THERE WAS NO VALET PARKING!!!! I called TV's from the car and they said we had to park 3 blocks away. We went to the parking garage and it was a $25.00 parking fee. Now, I don't mind (well, sort of) spending that (especially on our anniversary), but then to walk 3 blocks...we called and cancelled the reservation. NO WAY, am I going to pay $25.00 and then walk 3 long blocks.

What to do...I immediately went into panic mode, and thought of Jeds other favorite restaurant, The Palm. So I turned the car around and pressed on. After an hour and a half of driving, we arrived at the restaurant. Needless to say, my back was KILLING ME and I could hardly walk (of course, I forgot MY cane).

Jed ordered a Crab Cocktail and a Broiled Lobster...his meal was pretty good. I deviated from my usual Capri Salad and Veal Parmigiana and decided to order Calamari and Steamed lobster. The Calamari was rubbery and (and this would be funny, if it wasn't so pathetic) I had to ask for a steak knife for the Lobster.

On the way home, we just started laughing...I have always said, when things go wrong, you are making a memory...so we started listing all our memories of the evening....made us crack up.

Oh...and the clincher...Jed told me it was 36 years...not 37...really made my evening.

Love and Kisses

No comments:

Post a Comment